Friday, February 13, 2009

Auction

I attended an auction fundraiser for my daughter's school. It was a well-planned event with the kids serving dessert treats to the guests and plenty of worthwhile items to bid on during the silent and live auction. Some of the most sought-after items were crafts and tables created by the students. One item that sold well was a full-course Italian dinner extravaganza that would be prepared for the winning bidder. It was a lot of fun.

I wonder, though, if these auctions can sometimes generate friction, as when two people want the same silent auction item and compete by hovering over that item; or perhaps when during the live auction two people compete a bit too fiercely and only one win, thus creating perceptions of "winners" and "losers." I am sure these situations can occur. But for the most part, these auction fundraisers are needed to provide adequate funding for schools. If it helps the kids, then I am all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment