Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Little Chat

During our morning ride as I drove my son to his preschool class, I talked with him about "frost." It was a cold morning with frost on the windows of cars and roofs of houses. I asked my son if he could see the frost. He said, "Yes." I explained to him that frost occurred when the temperature was low, and that frost was similar to snow. I asked him if he knew the song "Frosty the Snowman." He said, "No." It was not an extended discussion because it was a short drive to his preschool. But I am glad even for such a short discussion.

I recall television commercials that showed parents with their kids during moments in life such as driving in a car or eating breakfast together. But these were silent moments where the parents and kids never talked with each other. The commercials always ended with a comment that these were wasted moments that could have been used by the parents to talk with their kids about important issues. These commercials made a valid point. Parents need to talk with their kids. I plan on doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment