Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Round

My wife is the musically-inclined person in the family. She studied and plays the piano. I, in my younger days, strummed a guitar (and not very well). My lack of musical inclination probably accounts for the dearth of musical activities that I engage my kids in at home. To make up for this, I suggested to my young son tonight that we should sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" as a round. He did not want to, and made only a half-hearted attempt after some urging from me. My daughter was more receptive to my idea, and in fact, she enjoyed the singing because she was laughing and chortling at my attempts to sing with her. After a bit of singing, she introduced me to a new song with the following lyrics:

Make new friends
and keep the old,
some are silver
and some are gold.

Maybe I learned this as a kid and forgot it as an adult. In any case, I was glad I learned (or re-learned) something from my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment