Sunday, February 1, 2009

Web Games

My wife and I narrow what our kids can do on the computer. They can, for example, write using Word or Wordperfect on the computer. If they want to play games, we monitor what sites they can go to. One site we allow them access to is PBS Kids that contains games such as Wordgirl and Clifford.

But because they say variety is the spice of life, I thought I would see if there was another family-friendly website for the kids. I found Qubo.com that also offers many online games. When I saw that VeggieTales games were included, I felt this site probably contained games my young kids could play. They had a great time playing Duke and the Great Pie War.

I limit the time they can stay online because I want them to do other things that actually involve face-time with other people. They would miss so much of what life involves (e.g., connecting, bonding, friendship) if they were glued to the computer screen day in and day out. At the same time, though, I do want to acquaint them with the computer and the opportunities created by the computer such as comprehensive research into vast databases, easy document creation, and inexpensive communication across great distances. The computer, like many other things, can be a boon or a bane. Our role as parents is to ensure the computer is a boon for our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment