Sunday, February 15, 2009

Science

Mom and daughter took time to go downtown together today, so I (Dad) and son spent time together too. At the mall, we got a balloon, ate ice cream, and sipped some complimentary tea. Then we headed to the bookstore where we looked at books and eventually purchased Professor Proton's Fun Lab at a discount.

This purchase is part of my effort to get my kids to like science and the study of science. I especially want my daughter to be exposed to science because of lingering societal gender bias that might cause girls even in twenty-first century America to feel they are not qualified to be in certain fields. I hope that my daughter, and indeed, all girls everywhere, believe that they are fully capable anywhere at any time in any field, including the field of science.

With Professor Proton's Fun Lab, my kids and I learned about air pressure by blowing up balloons and letting them deflate to propel a paper roll on a string. Then we learned about electricity by creating a buzzer (door bell) using a piece of cardboard, batteries, and equipment supplied by the Fun Lab. All in all, having fun with science was a good way to end the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment