Thursday, January 29, 2009

All Thumbs

Just before it was time for bed, I showed my kids a simple trick called the "separating thumb" I learned and enjoyed as a kid. On my left hand, I inserted my thumb between the index and middle fingers. On my right hand, I covered my thumb with my fingers. Then I placed the covered thumb next to my left hand so that it appeared my right thumb (that was actually covered by my left fingers) was inserted between the index and middle fingers of the left hand. I showed this to my kids, and then separated my hands so that it seemed as though my right thumb was separated from my right hand and was caught between the index and middle fingers of my left hand.

My daughter exclaimed, "I already know that trick!" I said, "Who taught you this trick?" "The boys at school," she replied. My pre-school son regarded my trick with a slight sense of curiosity. I'm not sure if he caught the gist of the trick. Still, we all enjoyed the simple magic show with Mr. Thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment