Thursday, January 22, 2009

Supercali . . .

At times, we think in terms of whether something is the highest, tallest, fastest, or biggest. Regarding words, I have been thinking about which word might be the biggest word in the English language. It might be "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." A Wikipedia entry provides some interesting historical tidbits about this word.

I told my kids that this was the biggest word in the English language. My daughter queried, "Is that even a word?" Then she laughed. My son said, "fragi . . . fragi . . . decious . . . decious," and then he also laughed. Is it a real word? I guess arguments could be made either way. I just know I picked up this term some time in the distant past when I was younger and heard it perhaps from childhood friends or the movie Mary Poppins. Words should be kept if they serve a purpose, and it is fun to say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," so this word should be kept.


No comments:

Post a Comment