Sunday, January 18, 2009

Editing

When my daughter asked me last night for additional time to review the poem she was writing for a student contest, I said no, there was not a lot of time because it was nighttime and we had to get ready for bed. But today, I realized she was asking me for time to do what all teachers tell their students to do--edit and proofread their own work. Editing is a good thing. It shows a writer pays attention to details, wants to improve, and cares about the written work.

After it dawned on me that my daughter was asking to edit her own work, I commended her today on her desire to perfect her own work. I then explained to both kids that editing one's own work is a good thing and something they should continue to do. After all, if anyone should care about the paper, it should be the one who wrote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment