Thursday, January 8, 2009

Parental counsel

I provided a new lesson to my children--the "it doesn't matter what people think" lesson. This was prompted by my child's perception of not doing well during violin practice and that others might notice. I am not musically inclined and thus could offer no assistance with the music practice. I did, however, counsel that what mattered was not what others thought of a person, but that the person did the best she or he could in every situation.

This talk probably did some good, although it is more likely that some time must pass before this talk is truly understood. Moreover, such lectures alone are not as effective as the combination of lecture and experience. Kids, like adults, will more likely understand a thing when they experience it. In the meantime, I will continue to offer whatever helpful counsel I can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment