Friday, January 16, 2009

'toon

The kids had a friend over today and they had a wonderful time running, playing, and laughing. But kids can get a bit too worked up when they play together. They need to slow down and have an opportunity to unwind. During these "slow-down" times, my wife and I allow our kids to watch a DVD. A new one they watched with their friend tonight was "Adventures in Odyssey," a family-friendly DVD about kids on an adventure.

The DVD case calls the show a "fully animated video." But I recall such shows as being called "cartoons" back when I grew up watching Saturday-morning cartoons on television. I suppose "animated video" or "animated movie" sounds more advanced and developed than mere "cartoon," and yet, there seems to be a simple innocence associated with the term "cartoon" that I am afraid will be lost with terms such as "animated movie" or "an animation experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment