Monday, January 5, 2009

Night Time Story

The kids heard a new night time story. I read Flying Horse: The Story of Pegasus by Jane B. Mason (and illustrated by Susan Swan). The book presents the winged horse of Greek mythology to young readers. It is a relatively short book that can be read in one night. The book says it is for "Preschool-Grade 1" readers, but parents should note that the story does include a fight scene where the prince uses arrows and a spear to combat a beast. My kids (a preschooler and second grader), however, enjoyed the story.

I wanted to read a story about Greek mythology to the children because I still remember the fascinating Greek heroines, heroes, gods, and goddesses I studied in school--Jason, Hercules, Ulysses, Zeus, Athena, Apollo, and others. They were wonderful tales that stirred a young person's imagination. Thus, when my first child was born, I promised myself that I would read my children stories from Greek mythology.

Moreover, Greek history is important to learn, and Greek mythology is part of that history. As globalization increases, knowing the history (and mythology) of other cultures becomes more relevant. Accordingly, I will in the future read children's stories from Africa, China, Japan, Russia, and other countries.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the story you read...and so glad you remember to change your daughter to be a second grader instead of first.

    ReplyDelete